Sunday, January 5, 2014

David Graham

Beginner’s Pluck.
Interviewed by Sue Leonard.
Published on 7th December.

Beginner’s Pluck. David Graham

David didn’t start writing until his late thirties. He has worked as a building site labourer, a  scaffolder, a bank assistant, and an IT programmer. Then at 34 he went to college.

“I had a few false starts with my writing,” he says. “I tried different genres, then I decided to draw on things that I’d learned from my extensive travels. I submitted a draft of Incitement; then I rewrote it, but never submitted it again. I was busy with the MBA, work, and moving house.

“I was driving to the office earlier this year, when I heard about the John Murray Show, RTE Guide Kazoo Novel Competition. I entered and later heard I was on the shortlist of five. Then I won! That was amazing. I am so grateful to everyone concerned.”

Who is David Graham?

Date of birth: December 1968, in  Dublin.

Education: Ardscoil Ris, Marino. Irish Management Institute; BA Management. Smurfit Business School; Executive MBA.

Home: Dublin.

Family: Wife Helena, sons Lucas 8 and Ruben, 6, adopted from Guatemala.

The Day Job: General Manager of my own business.

Interests: Walking, spending times with kids, and keep fit.

Favourite Writers: James Ellroy; John D Macdonald; Elmore Leonard; Simon Kernick; James Lee Burke.

Second Novel: I have finished a draft of my second book. It’s a different kind of thriller.

Top Writing Tip: Act your way into a feeling, rather than feel your way into an action. Just start writing.

Web: www.davidgrahambooks.com Twitter: @davidangraham

The Debut: Incitement. Andromeda Publishing: €8.99. Kindle: €4.99.
A war has erupted between two drugs superpowers. Diane Mesi, A DEA Agent becomes convinced that the attacks are orchestrated by a third party, but she is marginalised, her judgement challenged. Meanwhile Michael Larsen, a hired mercenary hopes that by directing the violence he can attain redemption.
            “I liked the idea of one evil trying to destroy another when a third party emerges. The novel has a factual backdrop based on intensive research.”

The Verdict: An exciting action thriller, with lots of  twists. 


© Sue Leonard 2013

No comments: