Thursday, March 14, 2013

News February, 2013

FEBRUARY 2013
I've just read an amazing debut. The Universe versus Alex Woods. It's by Gavin Extence, and is so good, I wonder whether anything better will appear this year.

Which reminds me; I never listed my 'best books' for 2012.

Top of the list was John Banville's Ancient Light, which I read back in January 2012. Banville displayed his usual literary brilliance, but combined this with readability. I read it, overnight, in Stanstead Airport. I just loved it.

Best women's fiction was Me Before You by JoJo Moyes- another book to come out in January, that was never surpassed. Best commericial Irishwoman was Ciara Geraghty with Lifesaving for Beginners. Best short stories was the exciting debut collection from Mary Costello, The China Factory. And a fifth book I simply adored was another debut; Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.

That's my top 5. But there were many other amazing books last year. In One Person by John Irving was one; Alone in the Classroom by Elizabeth Hay another. If 2013 proves even half as good a year, we're in for many treats.

No comments: